Mail server cannot send email to a specific domain

Jeffrey Meltzer jeffrey at meltzer.org
Wed Sep 24 17:09:19 UTC 2003

When dealing with mail, the fwd/rev should always match.

Ie,

  yourdomain.com.	IN	MX	10 mail.yourupstream.com.

  mail.yourupstream.com.	IN	A	10.11.12.13

  13.12.11.10.in-addr.arpa.	IN	PTR	mail.yourupstream.com.

Is the normal, proper way to set things up. Having the mx pointing to
mail.yourdomain.com where mail.yourdomain.com is a cname to
mail.yourupstream.com is a nice way to pretend you have your own mailserver,
but it's broken.

Also, lots of spam checker's check to make sure fwd/rev dns matches.

jeff