Aliasing one domain to another

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at verizon.net
Tue Sep 23 04:18:31 UTC 2003

Nico De Ranter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> for historical reasons I have a number of domains that all point
> to the same machines. Is there some easy way to make 1 domain a complete
> alias for another domain without having to duplicate all records?
> i.o.w. I have a number of hosts registered in domainA.com, I now
> want domainB.com to contain the same hosts without having to manualy
> duplicate all records.

On the master *server*, you simply use appropriate domain name expansion
to write an identical zone file, and either slave all the clients to use
the same master zone for generating slave zones, *or* get sneaky and
call the slave file used for one zone the master file for the other zone
to cut your transfers in half.