Can a name server address point to itself?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 22 23:08:40 UTC 2003

support at codefit.com wrote:

> i.e., if I have a domain name fakedomain.com and register that name as a
> name server with a registrar - ns1.fakedomain.com, ns2.fakedomain.com, can I
> also use the fakedomain.com as an actual web site,

Yes, just add an A record with that name to the zone, pointing at the IP
address of the webserver.

> and also set up the
> register info for fakedomain.com as a domain which points to itself, i.e.
> point to ns1.fakedomain.com, ns2.fakedomain.com?

What do you mean by "register info"? Do you mean *delegations*? If so, then
certainly it is possible to delegate a zone to names within the zone (this is
very common, actually). If, on the other hand, you mean, "can the name of a
zone resolve to the IP addresses of both of its nameservers?", then certainly
this is possible also -- just add both A records to the zone with the name of
the zone itself.

> Would fakedomain.com need
> to have a different IP address from the NS1 And NS2 IP?s?

No, it could resolve to the same address(es) as one or both of its nameservers.

- Kevin