Same IP for NS1 and NS2?

Kevin news at tnet.com
Sat Sep 20 06:50:29 UTC 2003

<support at codefit.com> wrote in message news:bkg7qa$1602$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> Hi,
>
> Is it OK to use the same IP address for NS1.mydomain.com and
> NS2.mydomain.com when registering a new namesaerver with a registrar?

Having two listed on the same makes no sense.  The purpose of two name
servers is to mitigate the possiblity that one may not be reachable by some
parts of the net so the other one would.  Which is why it is common to have
them on different networks.

Many registrars require you to register your nameservers (authoritive ones)
and will not allow them to be the same IP.

I've seen some registrars that now allow you do setup a domain with only 1
nameserver.  Same risks as above though.