Can a name server address point to itself?

Christian Smith xmas at this.address.is.invalid
Sun Sep 21 11:07:46 UTC 2003

In article <bkjicm$u72$1 at sf1.isc.org>, <support at codefit.com> wrote:

> i.e., if I have a domain name fakedomain.com and register that name as a
> name server with a registrar - ns1.fakedomain.com, ns2.fakedomain.com, can I
> also use the fakedomain.com as an actual web site, and also set up the
> register info for fakedomain.com as a domain which points to itself, i.e.
> point to ns1.fakedomain.com, ns2.fakedomain.com?  Would fakedomain.com need
> to have a different IP address from the NS1 And NS2 IP,s?
>
> Thanks for any info.

In article <bkjicm$u72$1 at sf1.isc.org>, <support at codefit.com> wrote:

> i.e., if I have a domain name fakedomain.com and register that name as a
> name server with a registrar - ns1.fakedomain.com, ns2.fakedomain.com, can I
> also use the fakedomain.com as an actual web site, and also set up the
> register info for fakedomain.com as a domain which points to itself, i.e.
> point to ns1.fakedomain.com, ns2.fakedomain.com?  Would fakedomain.com need
> to have a different IP address from the NS1 And NS2 IP,s?
>
> Thanks for any info.

You can have fakedomain.com point to the same IP address as one of the
name servers, yes.

The second name server will need to point to a different IP address.

So, you might have

fakedomain.com.             1D IN A          aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
ns1.fakedomain.com.         1D IN A          aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
ns2.fakedomain.com.         1D IN A          eee.fff.ggg.hhh
www.fakedomain.com.         1D IN CNAME      fakedomain.com.

fakedomain.com.             1D IN NS         ns1.fakedomain.com.
fakedomain.com.             1D IN NS         ns2.fakedomain.com.

--
Christian Smith