More than Caching DNS server

Rudi Starcevic rudi at oasis.net.au
Sun Sep 21 11:29:26 UTC 2003

Hi,

> it works for me
Yeah - I added this to my named.conf not long after my last post
which made it work. I tinkered with some of the options is this is
the only way it'll work for me so far:

view "external" {
  #match-clients { 192.168.1.0/24; 127/8; };
  match-clients { any; };
  zone "." {
   type hint;
   file "root.hints";
   };

> > allow-recursion { any; };
>
> you don't want to do this, recursion should be available only for
> well known clients, it can be easily misused, since DNS is mostly
> UDP service and this can make lot of headache for your service.
>
> Always restrict the recursion to your users only.

I thought I needed recursion on as I want to be the authoritive
name server for some domain names I have ?

Thanks
Rudi.