More than Caching DNS server

Rudi Starcevic rudi at oasis.net.au
Sat Sep 20 14:22:12 UTC 2003

Hi Ladislav,

Thanks for your reply.

> what is the dig command you have issued ?

Here is my 'dig' command and output:

rudi at central:~$ dig @64.235.238.29 rudistarcevic.net. any

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @64.235.238.29 rudistarcevic.net. any
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 52909
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;rudistarcevic.net.             IN      ANY

;; Query time: 2569 msec
;; SERVER: 64.235.238.29#53(64.235.238.29)
;; WHEN: Sat Sep 20 04:41:41 2003
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 35

> do you allow DNS ports through your network ?
Yes.

> do you allow recursion for external clients ?
I think so.
I just added the following 2 lines to my named.conf file
just under "options {"

allow-recursion { any; };
allow-query { any; };

> did you check the queries log file?
Yes.
I'm using syslog right now but plan on using daemon.log in production.
There is output in there when I query bind from the same machine bind
is running on but no output for a query from the Internet.

I'm sure it's something simple.
Thanks for putting me on the right track by asking me these questions.

Regards
Rudi.