AOL mail server problem -- DNS problem .. HELP

Griff Miller griff.miller at positron.com
Fri Sep 19 18:42:58 UTC 2003

LOYET Jerome wrote:

> to all
>
> I've got a problem with AOL mail server, when I try to send an email to
> truc at aol.com
>
> I got a answer from my own mail server:
>
> 421: 421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE, TEMPORARY DNS FAILURE
>
> Aol mail works fine from others mail services. Is it a problem with my DNS
> Server . I don't think so because my mail works fine
>
> Please help. Thanks
>
> Here is my Network configuration
> Network Scheme:
>
> [mail.egasys.com] 212.94.209.194 -------
> 212.94.209.193[osiris.egasys.com]212.94.203.136 --> INTERNET
>
> where osiris.egasys.com is the nameserver
> and mail.egasys.com is a CNAME to eva.egasys.com which is the mail server
> recorded as the MX in DNS.
>
> All those IP are public. I got just a problem with AOL ...

I think this is the problem:

% host 212.94.209.194
% host 212.94.209.193

AOL apparently wants to map the IP address of the connecting machine back to a
hostname, and then check to see if that hostname goes back to the same IP. It can't
even do the first step. Try adding PTR records in the 209.94.212.in-addr.arpa
zone file (which should be on the machine whose IP is 212.94.223.1 or 2)
for 194 and 193 that make sense and see how you get on. Note that it might
take some time for the change to percolate to AOL's machines.

For example:

194 IN PTR eva.egasys.com.

--
Griff Miller II                   | Why, I think I've got the hang of it now! |
Manager of Information Technology | :w :q :wq :wq! ^d X exit :quitbye :!QUIT! |