BIND Patch hands Verisign another weapon

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Sep 19 00:10:14 UTC 2003

> JW> I hope this patch does not filter out glue records for
> JW> nameserver hosts?!
>
> PV> if you query for glue directly you should be
> PV> receiving delegations, so, no.
>
> If one queries for "glue" directly, Verisign's servers return complete
> answers, not referrals.
>
>    [C:\]dnsqry /server:m.gtld-servers.net. a ns1.pingmagic.com. | tail /9
>    [192.55.83.30:0035] -> [0.0.0.0:0000] 126
>    Header: 0001 1+1+2+2, R, , query, no_error
>    Question: ns1.pingmagic.com. IN A
>    Answer: ns1.pingmagic.com. IN A 172800 202.140.169.216
>    Authority: pingmagic.com. IN NS 172800 ns1.pingmagic.com.
>    Authority: pingmagic.com. IN NS 172800 ns2.monitor724.com.
>    Additional: ns1.pingmagic.com. IN A 172800 202.140.169.216
>    Additional: ns2.monitor724.com. IN A 172800 143.89.51.48
>
>    [C:\]
>
> The only reason that this happens to work with the new
> "delegation-only" feature is the presence of the resource record
> sets in the "authority" section, allowing the answer domain name
> to be recognized as being under an actual registered subdomain
> of "com.", thereby skipping the "delegation-only" processing.
>
> But Verisign can simply turn off the addition of such resource
> records, leaving just the bare answer resource record set.  This,
> according to the rules for "delegation-only", would force BIND to
> turn the response into a "no such name" answer for
> "ns1.pingmagic.com.".  Without "delegation-only", in contrast, the
> response would be used as it stood.  Thus, by this patch, Verisign
> is handed a weapon for causing explicit queries for "glue" to yield
> wrong answers _only_ to those people employing "delegation-only", and
> thereby for causing denials of service specifically for the people
> who are trying to disregard its wildcards with this mechanism.

	Verisign only has glue.  Glue is not an answer.  Failure
	to supply the referral would be a violation of the DNS
	protocol.  They should be working towards only returning
	glue in the additional section to being the server into
	compliance with RFC 2181.  BIND 8 has the same issues.

	What Verisign has done to date has not been in violation of the
	DNS protocol.  I don't expect them to break the DNS protocol.

	What they have done is violate the trust placed in them to
	mange the COM and NET zones reasonably.  Adding the wildcard
	violated peoples expectations of what is reasonable.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org