9.2.2 on Windows 2000 bug fixed?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Sep 18 13:15:33 UTC 2003

"Jim McAtee" <jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com> wrote in message news:<bkb6cg$2at5$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> Danny Mayer wrote:
>
> > Yes. However do NOT install 9.2.3rc2 as there was a problem with
> > it. You can still install rc1 or wait for rc3.
>
> Are there problems with rc2 besides those with delegation-only type zones?  I
> installed it earlier today on two W2k servers, but had to remove the com and
> net delegation-only zones or all queries were refused.  Since removing them, it
> seems to be running fine.
>
> Should I pull it and go back to rc1?  Any guesses when rc3 or a fixed rc2 will
> be released for Win32?

I'm not sure what the problem was with rc2, I just know it there was a problem
that was brought up in another mail thread.

> BTW, I noticed that the installer placed the newer libeay32.dll into
> %SystemRoot%\system32\dns\bin instead of %SystemRoot%\system32.  Was that
> intentional?  I moved it out of that directory into the system32 directory,
> overwriting the older file.

Yes, it was intentional. This is an OpenSSL DLL which is needed for BIND 9.
The way that the DLL gets built means that a later version of the DLL
may not be compatible with previous versions of the DLL that other applications
may be relying on. This is a build issue that the OpenSSL people should really
address. The only reliable way to ensure that there is no problem with BIND 9
and for that matter any other application is to keep the DLL in the same
directory as named and the other files and not place it in the system32
directory and have it shared by other applications.

I realised this when I started to work on NTP and all sorts of problems
showed up.

So I suggest you leave it with the rest of the binaries. It will avoid lots
of problems later.

Danny