Blocking Verisign's new wildcard DNS record

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Sep 16 04:40:51 UTC 2003

"Christopher X. Candreva" <chris at westnet.com> writes:

> Verisign is now returning a wildcard record for any unregistered .net
> domain, with .com soon to follow.  This is to redirect all such requests to
> their own search site.
>
> Now, the IP they are returning currently is 64.94.110.11. It just occurred
> to me, is it possible to configure bind such that any lookup that returns
> that IP returns Host not found  instead ?

Here's how I did it for djbdns:  http://tinydns.org/djbdns-1.05-ignoreip.patch
Basically, any response with an A RR matching 64.94.110.11 is turned
into an NXDOMAIN.

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Free markets express in the
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | practical world our belief