one DNS should find all adresses

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Sep 16 13:31:47 UTC 2003

hotnews7 at hotmail.com (Pasqual) wrote:

>Hi !
>I configured my internet connection and added two nameserver which
>were given by the provider or ISP. So far as i know should one working
>nameserver resolves
>all possible adresses into the ip. The nameserver knows all nameserver
>in the subnets under him and at least one above. There are some
>internetadresses i can't ping. All the other adresses are resolved
>without problems.
>e.g. www.slsk.org doesn't function, although this is a valid adress.
>Two or three adresses are unknown, maybe the provider blocks this
>adresses ?
>
>If i would have found clever statements the last two hours, i dont
>need to ask silly questions ...
>greets
>Pasqual

Here is the output of doc-2.1.4 for slsk.org:

     britaine% doc -x -v slsk.org
     Doc-2.1.4: doc -x -v slsk.org
     Doc-2.1.4: Starting test of slsk.org.   parent is org.
     Doc-2.1.4: Test date - Tue Sep 16 08:28:50 CDT 2003
     soa @tld1.ultradns.net. for org. has serial: 2003177741
     soa @tld2.ultradns.net. for org. has serial: 2003177741
     SOA serial #'s agree for org. domain
     Found 0 NS and 0 glue records for slsk.org. @tld1.ultradns.net. (AUTH)
     Found 0 NS and 0 glue records for slsk.org. @tld2.ultradns.net. (AUTH)
     DNServers for org.
        === 2 were also authoritatve for slsk.org.
        === 0 were non-authoritative for slsk.org.
     Servers for org. that are also authoritative for slsk.org.
        === agree on NS records for slsk.org.
     WARNING: tld1.ultradns.net. claims authoritative for slsk.org.
        == but no NS record at parent zone
     WARNING: tld2.ultradns.net. claims authoritative for slsk.org.
        == but no NS record at parent zone
     NS list summary for slsk.org. from parent (org.) servers
       ==
     SYSerr: No servers for slsk.org. returned SOAs ...
        YIKES: doc aborted while testing slsk.org.  parent org.
        WARNINGS issued for slsk.org. (count: 2)
        Incomplete test for slsk.org. (1)
     Done testing slsk.org.  Tue Sep 16 08:28:51 CDT 2003

     britaine%

Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov