Reverse range of ip delegation

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Sep 11 22:33:42 UTC 2003

> Hallo all,
> I have a following problem. We have got a range of public IP of class
> C. These 256 IPs were cut into two areas by the router of our
> provider: 1-127 and 128-256 (255.255.255.128). I have to administer
> the second one.
> I do not know exactly how to do a reverse mapping.
> 128.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa is supposedly not correct.
> I was thinking of this:
> $ORIGIN 128.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
> 128-256 NS dns.ourdomain.sk
> would these two lines be enough to correctly delegate it?
> Thank for your reply
> Regards
> Dusan

	You also need to generate the set of CNAMEs that point into
	the other zone.  You also forgot the terminating peroid on
	the nameserver's name.  You should also have a second
	nameserver to serve this zone.  The range is 128-255, not 256.

	RFC 2317 has more detail.

$ORIGIN 128.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
128-255 NS dns.ourdomain.sk.
$GENERATE 128-255 $ CNAME $.128-255