named crashing

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Sep 9 21:45:16 UTC 2003

Brett Simpson wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 September 2003 03:43 pm, Jim Reid wrote:
> > Try reading the FAQ that comes with the BIND9 distribution. I quote:
>
> > In your case, the client's prerequisite that some name exists does not
> > hold. Therefore the update request fails because that name does not
> > exist. You'll need to check the client to find out what that name was
> > and why it needs that name to exist as a prerequisite. It would be
> > helpful if the log message reported the names and types of any DDNS
> > prerequisites: maybe in a future version of BIND9 perhaps?
>
> I know about the DDNS and why I'm getting the errors. I only listed that error
> because it's the only error before the crash on named.

I doubt that it has anything to do with the crashes.

> My concern is not the DDNS errors but why named is crashing. Could it perhaps
> be related to this bug fix in 9.2.2?
>
> 1229.   [bug]           named would crash if it received a TSIG signed
>                         query as part of an AXFR response. [RT #2570]
>
> Since I'm running 9.2.1 could my crash be related to this?

It's possible, I suppose. Is your box a slave for any zones, and is it likely
that the master(s) for any of those slave zones are buggy DNS implementations
that would send a TSIG signed query as part of an AXFR response?

If you *really* want to get to the root cause of the crashes, you may need to
talk to bind-bugs and, if requested, send the core file off to them (assuming you
have one). Or, you could just upgrade and see if the crashes go away and, if so,
never really know why. Such is the life of a system administrator...

- Kevin