daemon errors - please help

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Tue Sep 9 19:39:49 UTC 2003

In article <bjl7p5$1r5e$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Brian O'Gorman <Brian.O'Gorman at noaa.gov> wrote:
>I have BIND 9.2.1 running on a Sun Solaris 9 machine. This is a caching
>only nameserver. The configuration and zone file are attached  (as doc
>files after I cut and pasted them).

The mailing list software strips out attachments.  You should just paste in
plain text.

>I do a kill -HUP `cat /var/named/named.pid` and then examine the the
>/var/adm/messages and get the following result.  Could anyone comment on
>the errors - I  just don't see in the documentation where MINTTL is
>supposed to be and don't have clue about the  notice. Thanks in advance.
>Sep  9 09:49:17 lithodes named[322]: [ID 866145 daemon.notice] couldn't
>add command channel ::1#953: address not available
>Sep  9 09:49:17 lithodes named[322]: [ID 866145 daemon.warning]
>named.local:3: no TTL specified; using SOA MINTTL instead

You need to have a $TTL statement at the beginning of the zone file to set
the default TTL.  Since it's missing, the MinTTL field from the SOA record
(the last field) is being used instead, for compatibility with earlier
versions of BIND.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA