Moving a DNS servers IP address.

Dan Brown dan at amanah.com
Tue Sep 9 13:39:40 UTC 2003

From: Ketil Froyn on Monday, September 08, 2003:
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Dan Brown wrote:
> > Now both of these domains are registered at opensrs.net and have their
> > IP listed by whois as the old IP addresses.  (I think the IP should be
> > changed here as well since they serve the domains they are on, my boss
> > thinks they will update automagically.)
> I can't imagine opensrs.net would do that. You need to register the right
> IP of the name server with the registrar so that they can update the TLD
> server.

Well I am not sure where he has gotten this information.  I do know that
a great deal of our clients are registered with only ns1.amana.ca and
ns2.amana.ca as their primary and secondary, without the IP information.
I would deduce from this that a lot of unnecessary lookups are being done
to find ns1 and ns2 before finding the sites.

> If you take down ns2 on the old IP, you might get in trouble, Only after
> resolvers have asked ns1 (or tried ns2 on the old address, failed, and
> then asked ns1) will they receive the new correct IP for ns2, and start
> querying it successfully. In other words, all clients would have to query
> ns1 to be able to query ns2, making your name server redundancy virtually
> pointless.

Well the IP of ns2 has already been changed and ns1 reflects that change,
but since TLD servers don't have the correct info it's a process which
repeats and repeats.  Most of our sites are working alright but if we
unplug ns1 some of our sites will go down (become unresolvable) because
the IP is not changed at the TLD servers.  Every once in a while I can
find whois/IP/lookup servers which still think our secondary DNS is
at 204.83.155.146.

I think it's been about three weeks since I've started iterating this fact.

dan at amanah.com