How frequently Bind DNS can be updated?

Vinod Kumar vinod.kumar at alopa.com
Sat Sep 6 14:12:56 UTC 2003

Hello,

I have a load balancer which updates the SRV records on DNS according to =
the=20
load on different servers. No in a particular scenario where the servers =
are=20
highly loaded, the load balancer code tries to update DNS very =
frequently.

The DNS is updated by  the priority of SRV record, so I do add and =
delete of=20
that record in single SimpleDNSResolver send message. The issue/problem =
that=20
I notice is that in DNS sometime, when we increase the load quite high, =
we=20
see more than one SRV records for the particule FQDN, where we should=20
be seeing a single entry againt that FQDN.

Iam suspecting whether "there is any restriction" from bind that DNS =
shouldn't=20
be updated very frequently ??=20

Iam doing the update in different threads and the function which calls =
the=20
update on dns is synchronised.

So, can someone suggest me what must me wrong that in DNS there are more =

than one entry agains SRV record for same FQDN, where Iam not trying=20
to add it twice.

Thanks!!
- vinod=20