DNS Update Message Pre-req TYPE value 0xFF

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Sep 3 23:33:16 UTC 2003

> I've been studying a raw data transaction that I don't quite understand
> yet after inspecting RFC 2136 (DNS Update) and
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters
>
> It appears the pre-req section specifies a TYPE of 0xFF (255 dec) which
> is supposed to be "ALL" per dns-parameters but the bind trace appears to
> view it as "ANY".  The dns-parameters doc confuses the issue a little by
> using the literal description of "*". The only thing that makes sense
> here is to consider 0xFF means "ANY" even though dns-parameters seems to
> imply ANY is not a valid TYPE.
>
> Is someone able to clarify this for me?  Thanks!
> --
> Jeffrey Stevens

	If you make a query for type * (0x00ff) you get ANY records
	about the name that the server knows about.  You do NOT get
	ALL the records unless you are querying a authoritative
	server for the zone.

	ANY is a META query.  It is not a valid type for a resource
	record.

	Since you are talking to the authoritative servers, when sending
	UPDATES, ANY is equivalent to ALL.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org