DNS MAIL SETTINGS

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Wed Sep 3 18:30:36 UTC 2003

--On 2. september 2003 18:43 -0700 Erhan <erhan_j at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am comfiguring my dns MX records for use with my email server.
> I added 1 MX record for my 1 mail server, configured my host for it,
> and for the value I just put my domain name again (since I am usign a
> dynamic ip it needs to resolve the ip from the hostname). The problem
> is my mail server is not resolving my local domain name in DNS due to
> inproper DNS settings. I have all the nessisary records (A, CNAME, and
> MX set to prefrence of 5).

Which domain are you talking about?

> Any reason why my mail sever cannot resolve the domain name. ( I also
> believe that it takes time for the dns setting to update, if this is
> true it may be the source of my problem although I waited 20 minutes
> after adjusting the settings.)

How long you'll have to wait depends on the TTL for the records (and also
on the refresh-interval).

> Last thing, is it possible to host the domain's servers on just 1
> computer (Web, Mail, FTP, Telnet, DNS...(though mine is not on same
> computer)...)?

It's possible. One thing though - you should really have at least two
different nameservers (on different networks too...) for your domain.

--
Regards / Hilsen
Eivind Olsen