Acceptable number of lookups

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Sep 2 20:52:42 UTC 2003

B Jones wrote:

> I am looking for people's opionion on this issue...
>
> A customer's firewall/proxy server does a lookup everytime it sees a
> domain name in a web page.  Some pages have a domain name listed in
> the page more than 100 times.  So, we receive a request to resolve the
> domain more than 100 times.  They say there is a bug in the hardware
> that prohibits turning dns caching on (a memory leak of some sort).
>
> This doesn't really effect our servers performance, but was wondering
> if anyone had acceptable use policies regarding this.

My policy is I blackhole any DNS client that threatens my
DNS infrastructure via excessive query volume. What's "excessive"? I get
to decide that depending on my mood, how much coffee I've had, how
stressful my commute was, etc... So far, I haven't had anyone protest any
of my decisions in this regard.

-Kevin