Stange DNS Problem

Fredo hoskins37 at lycos.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 13:20:37 UTC 2003

Barry Margolin <barry.margolin at level3.com> wrote in message news:<bio8em$1bp0$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> In article <bio6rp$1ab4$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Yogish <yogish.gk at ahsinc.com> wrote:
> >Hi
> >I some how got the DNS up and running. I can ping all the devices from
> >theDNS server, but none of the devices in the network can ping that
> >device. How can I enable this DNS such that it will automatically try to
> >resolve all the queries when it involves machines within the network. I
> >dont want  to got each machine and change the DNS manually. Please let me
> >know if anything is possible.
>
> There's no way for a nameserver to "force" all the machines on the LAN to
> use it.  They have to be configured to do it.
>
> If you use DHCP to configure the machines on your network, you should be
> able to use it to tell them what DNS server to use.  If not, you'll
> probably have to change each machine manually.

I agree with the previous poster - the machines won't automatically
pick up on the DNS server<s> unless you either manually put the dns
server address<s> into TCP/IP properties on each client OR use the
DHCP service on a server. Within DHCP you configure "scope options"
and in there specify the DNS server<s> (and other options). When the
client machines log on to the network the next time they will pick up
on the DNS settings.

Remember, after this you've then got to work out why DNS isn't working
properly :0).