delegating a subdomain in Windows (NS Records)

usenet at blst.org usenet at blst.org
Fri Oct 31 23:53:32 UTC 2003

Hi Folks,

I know this is a BIND group, but I'd rather deal with a BIND guru
with some knowledge of Windows than a Windows person with some
knowledge of BIND.  (Plus, I've posted to a Windows newsgroup, but
am not expecting anything.)

In a nutshell, in BIND, I do this:

In the zonefile for example.com, add these entries:

foo   IN      NS      ns.our_nameserver.com
foo   IN      NS      ns2.our_nameserver.com

This creates a subdomain "foo.example.com" with nameservice delegated
to our nameservers, ns.our_nameserver.com & ns2.  Isn't that great?
Not even an IP address dependency.

For our service, we require that clients set this up so that we can
take full control of just that subdomain.  By delegating nameservice
responsibilities, this allows us to change anything and everything
related to the subdomain without having to involve the client.

The problem is, I haven't found a single person who can tell me how
to do this in Windows.  Mind you, these are not A records or MX
entries or CNAMEs - they're NS records, and they specifically do
_not_ require IP addresses.

Can anyone tell me how to do this in Windows, or verify that it
just cannot be done?  You do not know how much I will appreciate
getting the answer to this years-old question.