DNS Naming Convention

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Oct 23 22:49:21 UTC 2003

> > 		 SCHEDULE A TO VERISIGN SERVICE AGREEMENT
> >
> > 	ADDITIONAL TERMS APPLICABLE TO REGISTRANTS OF DOMAIN NAMES
> >
> > 5. Domain Name Dispute Policy. If you registered a domain name through us,
> you agree to be bound by our current domain name dispute policy that is incor
> porated herein and made a part of this Agreement by reference. The current ve
> rsion of the domain name dispute policy may be found at our Web site: http://
> www.netsol.com/en_US/legal/dispute-policy.jhtml.
> >
> >  6. Domain Name Dispute Policy Modifications. You agree that we, in our sol
> e...
>
> OK, I guess I misunderstood then. I thought ns1.blahblah2.com is the
> name of my NAME SERVER, not a domain name. When I register the name
> server with the registrar, it asks for the name server. Nowhere does
> it mention domain name. A Domain Name Server (DNS) is not the same
> thing as a Domain Name, right? Can you point out to me somewhere where
> it states that a name server must be a domain name?

	"ns.example.net" is a domain name and it is a sub-domain of
	"example.net", "net" and "."

	"example.net" is a domain name and it is a sub-domain of "net"
	and "."

	"net" is a domain name and it is a sub-domain of "."

	"." is a domain name and it is the parent of all domain names.

	"this.is.a.very.long.domain.name.example.net" is a domain
	name.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org