Newbie question on lots of slave zones

David E. Smith dave at technopagan.org
Tue Oct 21 02:11:09 UTC 2003

I don't think there's a quick easy way to do this, but I can hope ...

I want to set up one DNS server (ns1.foo.com) that will be doing primary
DNS for about 600 zones, plus acting as a caching server for a few
thousand dialup customers. The caching thing is easy...

What I'd like to do is set up ns1.foo.com so that any changes made to it
are automatically propagated to ns2.foo.com. Change a zone file? It
propagates. Create a new zone, or cease to be authoritative for a zone? It
propagates. Et cetera.

I know this can be done by putting a whole lot of slave directives on ns2,
and telling it that ns1 is the master, but that doesn't cover the 'I got a
new zone' part of the problem.

I suppose I could just export the config file and zone directory via SMB
or NFS or whatever, but that opens up a whole new can of ugliness that I'd
prefer to avoid if I can.

Any brilliant ideas, or am I gonna have to do this the hard way?

...dave