DNS servers wont resolve certain DNS names

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Tue Oct 21 16:46:01 UTC 2003

In article <bn3n3s$13m$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Mike Hale <mhale at TOUA.net> wrote:
>Thanks for the help so far. I'm still working through this problem
>without much success. The results you got below are typical of what I'm
>getting here except for what I mention below. Just this one site times
>out resolving through our servers. Other sites resolve just fine. I'd
>like to chaulk it up to what Peter Hkanson said about www.hardocp.com
>having errors but others servers seem to be able to resolve it.

What happens when you try to ping or traceroute to ns.itotf.com?

>I do notice one problem that has cropped up. DNS servers are incorrectly
>reporting an old IP address that should no longer be used for our
>primary name server. I checked our registrar a few days ago after
>noticing this but it only accepts FQDN not Ips and it is reporting the
>FQDN as the incorrect IP. So, I changed it to a CNAME for the primary
>name server hoping that the change would have propagated by now, but it

NS records must always point to an A record, not a CNAME.

>doesn't seem to have worked. Our name servers are correctly resolving
>the FQDNs as the correct IPs. Where is our registrar getting the
>information for resolving our primary name server? Is it cached
>somewhere. How could our primary name server still be reporting an old
>ip address? Could this be related in some bizarre way to not being able
>to resolve a name through our servers?

When you changed the IP you forgot to update the registration of the server
host.

   Server Name: NS1.TOUA.NET
   IP Address: 216.64.154.21
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com

Note that this will have absolutely no impact on your ability to resolve
names in other domains, it only affects people trying to resolve names in
your domain.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA