NS records and serial numbers

Erik Hensema erik at hensema.net
Sun Oct 19 15:22:56 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 10:59:05AM -0400, rob at lexiconn.com wrote:
> A few questions:
>
> - If a domain name has 3 nameservers, does the zonefile *have* to
> have all 3 listed as:
> IN NS ns1.
> IN NS ns2.
> IN NS ns3.
> I ask because some of our zonefiles on some nameservers do not
> list all 3 (We added a 3rd nameserver but some old records did not
> get updated). What problems could this cause?
>
> - If using 3 master nameservers for 1 domain, does the serial
> number have to be the same on all 3 nameservers, or is it
> namserver specific?

I'm under the impression that you don't do zonetransfers between de
nameservers, is that correct?

Usually you would make one of the three nameservers the primary, and that's
the only server where you edit your zonefile. The other two servers
automatically do zonetransfers when the serial on the master is higher than
the serial of their local copy.
Then all records are identical, including nameserver records and serials.

--
Erik Hensema (erik at hensema.net)