Assign CNAME for one subdomain?

Rob Mortimer r_mortimer at postmaster.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 12:37:25 UTC 2003

On 12 Oct 2003 11:52:55 -0700, IOMJEPOJAXSA at spammotel.com (Florian
Effenberger) wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I have a question regarding BIND9, hope you can help me.
>
>Assume we have a domain name (for a school) like ourschool.com. This domain
>name is hosted, and the DNS servers are at our ISP and resolve to a static
>IP of a webserver in a datacenter.
>
>Now we have an onsite internet gateway (a router) which is a local
>webserver. From within our school, it is reachable via router.school
>(.school is the internal "domain", we have own inhouse DNS servers). From
>outside, we have a dynamic DNS entry, so it resolves as router.ourschool.com
>
>Now, when someone from within our school calls router.ourschool.com rather
>then router.school, he gets connected to the external IP. However, I would
>like to have him connect to the internal IP.
>
>So, I need to set a single subdomain to a CNAME on our local DNS servers,
>like
>
>router.ourschool.com. IN CNAME router.school.
>
>However, this does not seem to work, BIND always complains. Is there any
>possibility of achieving that?
>
>In short: Our local bind should query the regular DNS for *.ourschool.com,
>EXCEPT router.ourschool.com, which should be CNAMED to router.school
>
>Thanks a lot!
>Florian

How about :-

Make the internal DNS server the SOA for ourschool.com.
Add addresses for the following

www.ourschool.com webserver IP address
ourschool.com webserver IP address
router.our school.com internal IP address
NX records pointing to your internal mail server
Plus copies of any other records currently available for your domain
on external DNS

Regards Robert