Q dns won't work after some time

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Wed Oct 15 18:30:31 UTC 2003

In article <bmk0ic$16hs$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Jason <JASON88 at seed.net.tw> wrote:
>Thanks Barry.
>My domain is etc.org.tw, and I did change the expire time and the soa to the
>name of my dns, but still no luck.

I've been seeing intermittent failures trying to query your DNS server
fire203.etc.org.tw.  Maybe there are problems with your Internet
connection?

>Also " You need to have NS records for the slave servers as well.  Also,
>does this
> NS record match the delegations?", what does this mean?

It's strongly recommended that you have multiple nameservers for your
domain, usually one master server and one or more slave servers.  And it's
best if some of the servers are on a different network than yours, so that
a problem with your network connection doesn't prevent DNS lookups.

If you have slave servers, you need to list them in the NS records in the
zone file and also in the domain registration.  If you don't have slave
servers, you should get some.  Your ISP may offer this, and there are also
third-party services that do it cheap (and some are even free).

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA