newB: confusion about whois & DNS

forrest gump forrestgump at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 17:52:55 UTC 2003

"Barry Margolin" <barry.margolin at level3.com> wrote in message
news:bmh1ad$67n$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> In article <bmffnm$1hbo$1 at sf1.isc.org>,

> Why are you surprised?  That's the answer that comes back from
> 208.155.79.150 and 208.155.79.151?

Ah HA... I see... I failed to even try to dig the 208.155.79.150 and 151
servers.  Since I had changed all of the Raq3's IP's away from the
208.155.xxx.xxx addresses, and the Raq3's web server didn't respond to that
IP anymore, I assumed (we all know what happens when you do that) that a DNS
server on that IP would fail as well. Since my Raq3's control panel is
devoid of those IPs (as best I can tell), It does make sense that they made
their servers slaves to mine.

> Whois servers are not involved when you're doing DNS queries.  The data
> that the whois server displays is used to populate the TLD nameservers.
So
> in the .com domain there are entries:
>
> lostmtn.com. IN NS ns2.lostmtn.com.
>              IN NS ns3.lostmtn.com.
> ns2.lostmtn.com. IN A 208.155.79.150  ; glue record
> ns3.lostmtn.com. IN A 208.155.79.151  ; glue record

Cool, that makes sense.

> Yes.  When they queries ns2.lostmtn.com or ns3.lostmtn.com, they got back
> response that has the following in the Authority section:
>
> lostmtn.com. IN NS www.lostmtn.com.
>
> They update their cache with this information.

Cool.

> Yes, when they remove the zone from their configuration, resolution will
> fail.

Makes perfect sense, I have since dig-ed the 66.84.79.150 and it is
responding properly from what I would guess is directly from the server, so
I would think that updating each of the domains to that IP as the ns2 and
ns3 should get me where I need to be.

Whee. I get to track down all that crap...

THANKS A TON!
I now understand a little more (probably just enough to be dangerous)