Easy way to specify nodes on multiple domains?

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 20:54:43 UTC 2003

Walter Schiessberg wrote:

> Nickster wrote on 12.10.2003 19:31:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Is there an easy way to maybe "re-use" zone files to specify exactly the
> > same host names/IP addresses for multiple domain names e.g.
> > box1.domainname.org box1.domainname.com? Currently I'm having to duplicate
> > entries between 2 zone files and it's a bit of a pain. Am I missing
> > something really obvious!?
>
> If you don't use the $ORIGIN statement and additionally start the SOA
> with "@" you only have to copy the file to a different name and adjust
> your named.conf.

As Barry said, you don't even need to do that, you just name the same
file in the various zone statements on the master server.

Note that you cannot do this on slaves, if you're storing the slave
zones in files they must have different names. Slave zone files always
contain explicit self references.

Regards, Ian