How to access my dynamic-IP-server in a reasonable way?

annil at telia.com annil at telia.com
Sat Oct 11 22:34:43 UTC 2003

Hello,

I have a broadband connection to my PC. I'm running Windows XP Pro and
have installed IIS. I want to be able to access the webserver in a
convenient way.

If I had had a static IP I could make a link or forward to this IP
fronwww.myhomepage.com/local or whatever. Unfortunately, my ISP doesn't
give me a static IP, that is, my IP will change about every day (while I
shut-down my computer at night).

If I had had an own domain to dedicate to my web-server, I could have
used one of the "dynamic DNS-services" avaliable. However, I don't want
to devote a domain to my web-server, I just want to be able to reach it
in a reasonable way - maybe from a link on my webpage at
www.myhomepage.com, or as a forward from www.myhomepage.com/local/.

Now the question is - how do I do this? With the "dynamic DNS-services"
I would have some program determining my IP. Something like that sounds
nice (except that I don't want to devote an entire domain to it).

Is there any service where I can install such a program and then always
have a link to my current IP at for example
www.the-service-providers-name.com/myid/? That would solve my problem.
Or are there any other idea how to solve this?

Great thanks in advance!