Different behaviour for different TLDs?

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Thu Oct 9 17:42:05 UTC 2003

In article <bm45sh$p4l$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Konrad Lienhard <konrad.lienhard at remove_darki.ch> wrote:
>What I don't understand is:
>
>I created a subdomain with a seperate dns server responsible for it
>(nameserver.subdomain.domain.com)
>when I do a whois for "domain.com" I get the the 2 nameservers for the
>domain.
>If I do a whois for the "subdomain.domain.com" I get nothing
>(which is expected as I only delegate the subdomain from my domainservers).
>However if I directly
>ask a .com TLD Server for "nameserver.subdomain.domain.com" I get directly
>an answer but with
>the OLD ip not the new one. I neither know why the TLD have this entry
>chached nor why they do not
>update this entry. Why did they cache this entry in the first place? To my

Most likely it's registered as a server host for some .com domain.  The
GTLD servers don't have recursion enabled, so they don't do caching.  The A
records they have are all glue records that come from Host registrations.

>understanding they should
>not cache it because it's my nameservers which are delegating my subdomains
>or am I wrong?

Please post the specific names that you're having trouble with.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA