Views...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 7 21:05:12 UTC 2003

Forrest Aldrich wrote:

>So, I presume that zone "." and any other data you want that is technically
>local must go into a view, like the internal "view"?   The DNS book I have
>doesn't seem to have a really good example going.
>

>At 12:19 AM 9/27/2003, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
>

>>I do serve a couple of small zones, but my own zone is hosted elsewhere.

>>want the

>>external

>>>If you're not serving anything to the Internet, why bother with views at
>>>all? Who is going to see your "external" view?
>>>
>>>- Kevin

Right. Think of each view as kind of a "virtual" nameserver instance,
with its own set of zone definitions, etc. Just as a regular nameserver
instance needs some sort of root-zone definition (which could possibly
be the compiled-in definition if nothing is defined explicitly), so does
a "view".

I thought the "view" example on pages 326 and 327 of _DNS_and_BIND_,
Fourth Edition, were pretty handy...

- Kevin