Mail servers

Rob MacGregor me at privacy.net
Thu Oct 2 15:22:05 UTC 2003

Pete Walker wrote:

> I am having problems sending e-mails to one domain in particular.  They all
> bounce back with the following error:
>
> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> <xyz at domain.co.uk>
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> 554 permanent problems with the remote server mail.domain.co.uk

What's the real domain?  Makes it easier for others to verify what
you're seeing.

> When I contact their technical people I'm told that we are the only co.
> having problems sending to them and it must be our DNS settings at fault.
>
> I check their DNS settings and find that the mailserver doesn't respond
> properly, so I try to ping it (from outside as well) and it doesn't respond.

With some of the worms doing the rounds these days a lack of ping
response isn't a big surprise.

Worth also checking your source IP.  I've seen lots of problems with my
ISP allocating from the previously reserved 82/8 range.  Many sites
still filter traffic from that range, giving access problems.

--
   Rob MacGregor (BOFH)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
       The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.