try to send iterative query to forwarder

Chris Ding Wang (BH/LMI) chris.ding.wang at ericsson.com
Thu Oct 2 16:26:10 UTC 2003

Hi,
   This is for an internal network, not for internet, using Bind 9.2.1.
   I got such kind of requirement:
	1. Different "root" servers for different domains;
	2. Root servers prefer to receive iterative queries rather than recursive.

   The solution I am trying is to configure forward zones for each of those domains and specify forwarders for them respectively. for example in named.conf:

	zone "aaa.bbb.zzz" in {
	        type forward;
	        forwarders {1.1.1.1; 1.1.1.2; };
	        forward first;
	};

	zone "ccc.ddd.zzz" in {
	        type forward;
	        forwarders {2.1.1.1; 2.1.1.2; };
	        forward first;
	};

    It works fine to direct queries to the right root servers. But all queries sent to forwarders are recursive, which is not what I want.
    Is it possible to force the DNS to send only iterative queries to forwarders? Or, is there any other better way to fulfill the two requirements?

    Thanks so much.

Regards,
Chris