A record for just the domain name

F. Even bindlists at elitists.org
Wed Oct 1 15:08:16 UTC 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:14:21PM +0000, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <bla0uc$32v$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Scot <blank at blank.blank.com> wrote:
> >How would I accomplish the following:
> >
> >Have domain name myexample.com
> >
> >in the zone file for this domain I have:
> >
> >www    A    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> >

> >How would I put an A record in for just the domain name, so that if they put
> >example.com it would be the same as www.example.com?
>
> @ A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Keep in mind, that will only work if you have "myexample.com" as the domain in named.conf, or if you have not changed the $ORIGIN to something else.

You could also use an absolute value (ending w/ a .), like this:

myexample.com.	A	xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

The above www record would also work doing something like that:

www.myexample.com.  A  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Frank