forward unknown query

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Fri Oct 31 15:44:02 UTC 2003

In article <bnt4kk$11u0$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Junior Arnold <arnold7979 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Sorry if this question has been asked (and answered) before but i've
>been googling for sometime with no luck:
>
>Here comes my ques:
>
>I have foobar.com hosted somewhere else with www.foobar.com = 1.2.3.4
>and mail.foobar.com = 5.6.7.8.
>
>I have a LAN with 20 PC and i want to do local (internal) DNS where
>every PC has a name (pc1.foobar.com = 192.168.0.100, pc2.foobar.com =
>192.168.0.101). Hence, I created a master zone called foobar.com.
>
>Now, how do i forward unknown queries such as www.foobar.com or
>mail.foobar.com to my hosting service provider's DNS (or perhaps any
>internet'able DNS such as my ISP's one)?

The usual recommendation is to just copy the public DNS entries into your
internal DNS.

You can configure forwarding zones for the external names:

zone "www.foobar.com" {
  type forward;
  forwarders { <address of ISP DNS>;};
};
zone "mail.foobar.com" {
  type forward;
  forwarders { <address of ISP DNS>;};
};

This only works for *known* external names; other names in the foobar.com
domain will continue to be handled by your internal DNS.

If you want this to happen for all names that aren't in the internal DNS,
you could make a separate zone for each internal name:

zone "pc1.foobar.com" {
  type master;
  file "pc1.db";
};