A little help please Thanks

News Subsystem news at news.astraweb.com
Wed Oct 29 23:09:26 UTC 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:40:53 -0700, Stolen <stolen at thecave.net> wrote:

>News Subsystem wrote:
>
>>this is new to me but trying to learn without help but I am now stuck
>>
>>I am having major problems and it is driving me nuts!!!! I have done
>>everythig to make this work (i think) Ido some time get the dig to
>>show all of my info correctly  from other outside servers but all the
>>sudden it stops working for no reason at all. everything works
>>perfectly from the server box all info reply's perfectly but from
>>nowhere else I don't know what else to do
>>I have never been able to bring up the web page from any where but the
>>localhost never from the internet. I have been reading this group for
>>a couple of day's now and it has got me this far without asking any
>>questions until now. I hope I have sent enough info to at least get a
>>few answers
>>

>>here is my info
>>Suse 9.0 pro
>>bind 9.2.2   <- suse installed version
>>dig 9.2.2
>>
>>zone edschooler.com
>>
>>$TTL 2W
>>@		IN SOA		edschooler.com.	root.edschooler.com.(
>>				2003102603	; serial
>>				2D		; refresh
>>				4H		; retry
>>				6W		; expiry
>>				1W )		; minimum
>>;
>>
>>		IN MX		10 mail.edschooler.com.
>>		IN NS		edschooler.com.
>>;
>>@                  A            209.210.153.177
>>mail               A            209.210.153.177
>>www                CNAME        @
>>
>>;
>>

>your whois shows the following for nameservers:
>   Domain servers in listed order:
>      NS1.EDSCHOOLER.COM
>      NS1.SDOAK.COM
>This disagrees with your zone above.  you should really make them match
>if you want everything to work consistantly.
>
>Not to mention that you haven't even set up ns1.edschooler.com in your
>zone, and that ns1.sdoak.com doesn't exist either. (other than as glue
>at the root servers).

on my server

$TTL 2W
@		IN SOA		ns.edschooler.com.
root.edschooler.com.(
				2003102705	; serial
				7200		; refresh
				7200		; retry
				2419200		; expiry
				1W )		; minimum
;
                          IN NS		ns
		IN MX		10 mail.edschooler.com.
;
localhost             A                        127.0.0.1

ns                       A                        209.210.153.177
                          MX                      10 mail
www                  CNAME               ns

mail                    A                         209.210.153.177
                         MX                       10 mail

ftp                     A                          209.210.153.177
                         MX                       10 mail

on sdoak.com

$TTL 2W
;
; Zone file for edschooler.com
;
; The full zone file
;
@       IN      SOA     edschooler.com. root.edschooler.com. (
                        2003102703     		; serial, change this
each time you make a domain change
                        7200           		; refresh, seconds
                        7200            	; retry, seconds
                        2419200		; expire, seconds
                        1W )         		; minimum, seconds
;
                NS      sdoak.com.   ; Inet Address of name server
                NS      edschooler.com.   ; Inet Address of name
server
                MX      10 mail.edschooler.com.   ; Primary Mail
Exchanger
;
@               A       209.210.153.177
mail            A       209.210.153.177
www                    CNAME   @
ftp                        CNAME   @

now yes I know they do not match but the nameserver @ edschooler.com
is not working. so right now all is being served by sdoak.com with no
help from edschooler.com. this was all setup after the original was
posted in this group. I can't figure out why edschooler.com is not
working. this was my original help question, why is edschooler.com not
working? (nameserver) What am I missing on edschooler.com to make the
name server work?

Thanks
 Ed Schooler