DNS Naming Convention

s activeco at home.nl
Tue Oct 28 22:05:46 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph S D Yao" <jsdy at center.osis.gov>
To: "s" <activeco at home.nl>
Cc: <comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 10:26 PM
Subject: Re: DNS Naming Convention

: The problem is, as you immediately found!, that alternate root servers
: are rarely - if ever - set up to correctly resolve ALL domains outside
: the ones they are adding.  Also, what if three of them decide to have
: their own separate implementations of the domain ".wall", and I send
: you the URL <URL: http://up.against.the.wall/> - against which of them
: do you resolve the domain?  For deterministic computing, information
: needs a single root.  If you want to skip around, non-deterministically,
: that is of course your privilege.
:

I basically agree on system hierarchy. However, either for someone's free
will or for bad case scenario a non-single-entity-controlled backup(s) is a
must.
I also support a view that some sort of MoU must be reached regarding tld
collisions, but surely not as a result of one or two-sided decree.