DNS Weirdness

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Fri Oct 24 16:43:19 UTC 2003

In article <bnbjva$10v8$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Angela Williams
<angie at eoh.co.za> wrote:

> Everything works well except if I nslookup just the domain name.
> From a customer site (their own connection to the net) I get this result
> [output from nslookup and dig showing no A record for eoh.co.za]

Well, it's doing exactly what you told it to (darned computers!).
Without further qualification nslookup and dig look for A records for
the name you're querying, and your zone files show that you don't have
an A record for that name, though the rest of the zone information
looks OK (though if I were you I'd take off most of the "eoh.co.za."
suffixes from your names - they're superfluous and might be damaging in
some circumstances.  What are you actually trying to do?  Ah, I see...

> I've only look at this now as a sister company in Cape Town claims that t=
> hey=20
> cannot send mail to us as they cannot resolve the domain, mx record yes b=
> ut=20
> not domain!

Your MX record looks good from here and an MX record, along with the
correct A record for the host which is the target of the MX, is all
they should need.  If they have some problem with it then it may be
with their or your mail setup rather than the DNS.

It's true that your reverse lookups don't seem to be delegated; that
might cause problems with them receiving mail from you but not normally
with sending.

> Any ideas anyone? This was got me stumped!

I don't really understand what the problem is - it ought to work the
way it is.

Sam Wilson
Infrastructure Services Division
Computing Services, The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK