DNS Naming Convention

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 27 23:09:48 UTC 2003

What about 'em? You're free to populate your hints file with any old
junk you want to. For that matter, you're free to define your server
with its own root zone and have it, and whatever clients depend on it,
live in a little microcosm of your own making. The current set of root
servers and/or TLD servers are used because, as a consensual matter,
they work well the vast majority of the time, and people trust them.
Are you, by any chance, one of those people who is inherently
distrustful of any kind of consensual agreement short of a
(governmentally/legally) binding and (governmentally/legally)
enforceable contract? Your questions about "ownership" and "control"
lead me to believe you might be that kind of person. If so, then perhaps
you ought to find a different line of work, because there's a lot more
informality in the network technology realm than most attorneys and/or
beancounters realize. See also (a little dated, admittedly):
http://www.w3.org/Talks/1999/0105-Regulation/all.htm

                                    - Kevin