achieving failover with 2 primary name servers?

Ori Tend ori at fetchbook.info
Wed Oct 22 08:57:51 UTC 2003

I implemented this, and it looks like web visitors are arriving to both
boxes - always.
I want to achieve a situation where visitors start to go to the second
box only when the first box fails.
So I'm thinking of the following:
Have the DNS2 run as secondary to DNS1 (as Barry mentioned, TTL should
be low, 1 min or so).
Run a simple script on box2 that polls the box1 to verify that www
responds well.
In case of a failure of box1, the script will switch the named.conf and
the zone file (on box2), to make DNS2 as primary, with A record pointing
to an IP residing on this box2.
When the script identifies that box1 is up and running again, it will
switch the named.conf and the zone file again (on box2), to make DNS2 a
secondary again, pointing to box1 again.

Again, this would help to divert visitors to box2 only when box1 dies.
Reason I prefer not to use lbnamed, is that its not as actively
maintained as bind, and not as documented as bind- and a simple script
can help achieving the needs.

What do you think about it? I mean, try to beat it with thoughts why it
won't work, and why I shouldn't do that :-)

Thanks,
Ori.
=20