Notify not happening can someone help me out

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sun Oct 26 00:35:58 UTC 2003

> I do not see how this is any different from what I posted before but
> here it is.

	It is still not complete.  I asked for more information
	that just named.conf.

	NOTIFY depends apon the content of the NS RRset to find the
	slaves to be notified.  It depends upon the SOA record to
	find the name of the master server which is excluded from
	being notified.  It also depends upon master being able to
	resolve the addresses of the nameservers.  The NOTIFY being
	sent from the address the slave is expecting it from.

> I am not saying this is a config issue but I do not see how
> it is on a different box running 8.3.4 in a test lab this same config
> file works great and I see the notify in /var/log/messages.

	So which of your secondaries are you having problems with?

digitalrage.org.        4H IN NS        ns1.digitalrage.org.
digitalrage.org.        4H IN NS        ns2.easydns.com.
digitalrage.org.        4H IN NS        remote1.easydns.com.
digitalrage.org.        4H IN NS        remote2.easydns.com.

	Mark

> options {
>         directory "/etc/namedb";
>         version "Why are you asking?";
>         query-source address * port 53; };
>
> acl "secondary" {
>         64.39.29.216/32;
>         };
> };
>
> // In addition to the "forwarders" clause, you can force your name
> // server to never initiate queries of its own, but always ask its
> // forwarders only, by enabling the following line:
> //
> //      forward only;
>
> // If you've got a DNS server around at your upstream provider, enter
> // its IP address here, and enable the line below.  This will make you
> // benefit from its cache, thus reduce overall DNS traffic in the
> Internet.
>         /*
>          * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
>          * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
>          * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
>          * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
>          * port by default.
>         // query-source address * port 53;
>
>          * If running in a sandbox, you may have to specify a different
>          * location for the dumpfile.
>          */
>         // dump-file "s/named_dump.db";
>
> // Setting up secondaries is way easier and the rough picture for this
> // is explained below.
> //
> // If you enable a local name server, don't forget to enter 127.0.0.1
> // into your /etc/resolv.conf so this server will be queried first.
> // Also, make sure to enable it in /etc/rc.conf.
>
> zone "." {
>         type hint;
>         file "named.root";
> };
>
> zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
>         type master;
>         file "localhost.rev";
> };
>
> zone
> "1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.IP6.INT
> " {
>         type master;
>         file "localhost-v6.rev";
> };
>
> // NB: Do not use the IP addresses below, they are faked, and only
// serve demonstration/documentation purposes!

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org