[Newbie] Making a caching-only bind9 manage a local zone?!

Thore Schmechtig WRITETOcommoner at carcosa.de
Thu Nov 27 17:49:38 UTC 2003

Hi,

> Just a thought, do you have a global forward only statement in the
> config, and have you overridden this in the zone declaration ?

now that sounds promising. I obviously didn't do this or else I'd know
- seems I overlooked something there.
(minutes later)
Aaah, I guess I remember why I did not use that option - I was
irritated because my SuSE installation doesn't provide a man page for
named.conf(?!)... :/ Or else I'd have checked it out and hopefully
found that option. IIRC I installed bind9, found that it's installed
with a default caching-only config - just what I needed then - and used
that one.

Here's my current named.conf (just snipped some comments and my ISPs
DNS server IPs):

***** BEGIN *****

options {
      directory "/var/named";
      #forwarders { X.X.X.X; Y.Y.Y.Y; };
      #forward first;
      listen-on port 53 { 127.0.0.1; 192.168.0.1; 192.168.1.1; };
      listen-on-v6 { none; };
      #query-source address * port 53;
      #transfer-source * port 53;
      #notify-source * port 53;
      #allow-query { 127.0.0.1; };
      notify no;
};

zone "localhost" in {
      type master;
      file "localhost.zone";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
      type master;
      file "127.0.0.zone";
};

# zone "local" in (
#     type master;
#     file "local.zone";
# );

# zone "168.192.in-addr.arpa" in (
#     type master;
#     file "192.168.zone";
# );

zone "." in {
      type hint;
      file "root.hint";
};

(It's obvious I guess that the zone defs that are commented out are the
ones who caused the trouble)

Feel free to point me to my mistakes, thanks in advance for your help :)

--
Bye

Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
Include HI-AK 523 in the subject or your email will be deleted!