Trying to get my domain working properly

Sean Langley nospam at notmail.com
Wed Nov 26 03:11:44 UTC 2003

Hi there

This is my first time setting up a dns server for personal use, though I
have dabbled a little bit with bind 9 at work.  I registered a domain name
"cagrippa.com" at godaddy and set up a couple of hosts at godaddy to act as
name servers for my domain.  (It just so happens that everything is the same
computer).

The problem is, that while every host that I have named in my zone file
seems accessible, the "cagrippa.com" itself is not.  Basically what I am
trying to do is get my server (mail and dns) set up so that emails can be
received to username at cagrippa.com.  So far, I can send and receive emails to
username at slug-server.cagrippa.com which is one of the two name servers that
I registered with godaddy.  Could someone give me a clue as to what I need
to do next?

Below is my external view from my named.conf file:

view "external" {
 match-clients {any; };
 recursion no;  //no recursive queries from the outside

 zone "cagrippa.com" {
 type master;
 file "external/db.cagrippa.com";
 allow-transfer { none; };
 };

 zone "68.144.87.180.in-addr.arpa" IN {
 type master;
 file "external/db.68.144.87.180";
 notify no;
 };

 zone "." IN {
 type hint;
 file "external/shaw.ca";
 };

 zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
 type master;
 file "named.local";
 notify no;
 };

My db.cagrippa.com zone file is below:
$TTL 86400
@ IN SOA slug-server.cagrippa.com. postmaster.cagrippa.com. (
 2003112501 ; Serial number
 2h  ; refresh after 3 hours
 1h  ; retry after 1 hour
 1w  ; expire after 1 week
 1h )  ; negative caching TTL of 1 day
  IN NS slug-server.cagrippa.com.
  IN NS slug1.cagrippa.com.

  IN MX 10 mail.cagrippa.com.

localhost IN A 127.0.0.1
mailhost IN A 68.144.87.180
mail  IN A 68.144.87.180
slug-server IN A 68.144.87.180
slug1  IN A 68.144.87.180
www  IN A 68.144.87.180
ftp  IN A 68.144.87.180

Finally, my reverse lookup file:
$TTL 86400
@ IN SOA 180.87.144.68.in-addr.arpa. postmaster.cagrippa.com. (
 2003112502 ; Serial number
 3h  ; refresh after 3 hours
 1h  ; retry after 1 hour
 1w  ; expire after 1 week
 1h )  ; negative caching TTL of 1 day
  IN NS slug-server.cagrippa.com.
  IN NS slug1.cagrippa.com.

180.87.144.68.IN-ADDR.ARPA IN PTR slug-server.cagrippa.com
180.87.144.68.IN-ADDR.ARPA IN PTR slug1.cagrippa.com
180.87.144.68.IN-ADDR.ARPA IN PTR mailhost.cagrippa.com
180.87.144.68.IN-ADDR.ARPA IN PTR mail.cagrippa.com
180.87.144.68.IN-ADDR.ARPA IN PTR cagrippa.com
180.87.144.68.IN-ADDR.ARPA IN PTR ftp.cagrippa.com
180.87.144.68.IN-ADDR.ARPA IN PTR www.cagrippa.com

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Sean