Bind configuration tools?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Nov 25 19:46:02 UTC 2003

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
> phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:

>>Morten W. Petersen <morten at nidelven-it.no> wrote:
>> =20
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>   =20

>>>we're setting up a new server which will host DNS for clients, and we'=
d like to
>>>give the clients the ability to control and update domains.
>>>   =20
>>>

>> =20
>>
>>>Are there any good (preferably web based) tools that allows delegation=
 of=20
>>>priviledges to users, so that they can add domains, subdomains, etc.?
>>>   =20
>>>

>>'vi' ( or your editor of choice) is the general tool to=20
>>adjust bind's configuration. Everything else is sub-optimal and
>>has limitations.
>>
> "vi" is optimal?!?! You want regular users running around editing your=20
> named.conf files with "vi"? Sometimes limitations are a *good* thing,=20

No. I don't want regular users edit named.conf IRRESPECTIVE OF TOOL.

> especially if you have users who lack necessary skill levels to handle=20
> things like /etc/named.conf maintenance I, for example, have a web=20
> utility that allows a user to (with the necessary sanity checks, etc.)=20
> create a zonefile in the zonefile directory and to add the name of the=20
> new zone to a special "zone list" which is kept in DNS itself. Then a=20
> cron job runs periodically and adds that new zone to /etc/named.conf=20
> based on a kind of "template" of how a zone definition should look. I=20
> think this is preferable to the "everybody vi the named.conf file"=20
> approach, and thus closer to "optimal".

Shure, i aggree. You "packetize" simple functions where those
function you allow the users to change is supplied.=20
Creating subdomains however is a task that should be dont
by a more clueful person ( read "knows DNS and troubleshooting DNS"=20
and can use an editor)

>                                                                        =
 =20
>                                     - Kevin

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
,