views: getting a secondary to mirror a primary split dns with transfer-source?

James Wilde jw-swdl at glocalnet.com.spam.no
Tue Nov 18 16:04:28 UTC 2003

"Pete Ehlke" <pde at ehlke.net> wrote in message
news:bpc13o$5ho$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 08:42:21AM -0800, Sean Boran wrote:
>
> A: You will need to give the master and slave multiple IP addresses and
> use those to make sure you reach the correct view on the other machine.
>

>         You put the external address on the alias so that all the other
>         dns clients on these boxes see the internal view by default.

Just to clarify a point...

We have had two internal name servers and one external (plus slaves at other
locations).
Now we'd like to set up one of our internal servers as master for the
internal view and
slave for the external view and our external server as master for the
external view and
slave for the internal view.

Admittedly I haven't yet given the two machines two IP addresses, but should
I be able to
set them up as we wish if I do?  I noticed a problem when I ran
named-checkconf on the
new named.conf file.  It complained that there already was a glocalnet.com
zone file when
it came to the secondaries.  Will this go away when the server has two IP
addresses?

TIA
--

mvh/regards