dig with status: REFUSED

Edvard Tuinder listbind at lunytune.nl
Wed Nov 19 16:05:12 UTC 2003

According to aabouk01 at fiu.edu:
> What would cause a query to come back with a refused status?
> I can query the zone on some nameservers with no issues, but
> on others i not able to. The domain i'm working with is
> bernuth.com Could this simply be the changes have not propagated
> to all nameservers or I have an issue on my zone configuration?

No, not all nameservers allow you to use them as recursive nameservers.
The REFUSED return code may be due to that.

If you want to verify the setup of your domain, check on www.dnsreport.com.
That site will perform various sanity checks on your domain.

But to answer your question partially, the setup of your domain is not
correct. According to the gtld-servers the nameservers are ns.fbsims.com
and ns1.fbsims.com. The first (ns.fbsims) is setup correct, but the second
is not answering correctly, but returning SERV-FAIL, which usually indicates
that it is not able to transfer the zone from the primary.

Furthermore the NS list as returned by ns.fbsims.com is not correct, as it
only lists itself as nameserver and not also ns1.

Your TTL's are also very high. That is not very usefull. Usually something
like 1 day or maybe 1 week is more than enough.

-Ed