Internic Question (Off-Topic?)

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Tue Nov 18 15:22:54 UTC 2003

In article <bpcgsm$qqa$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
J Cusick <JoeSmoke.at.no.dot.where at supernews.net> wrote:
>I am assuming this is a little off-topic, however I'm curious about a
>situation I'm in and would like to know how the system works and how this
>scenario could have occurred.
>
>I have a domain, cusick.ws registered through Register.com. It has one IP
>address associated with it (208.31.47.196). The top-level nameservers for
>this address are ns1.dns.ws, ns2.dns.ws, ns3.dns.ws, ns4.dns.ws and
>ns5.dns.ws
>
>Register.com's nameservers for their ws space are dns25.register.com and
>dns26.register.com
>
>If you were to dig at Register.com, the IP address is correct, but if
>you were to dig at the top level servers the ip address comes out
>216.35.187.246, which just happens to be a registrar known as e.ws

When I do a reverse lookup of the address it resolves to
default.worldsite.ws.  There appears to be a wildcard record:

*.ws. IN A 216.35.187.246

>It seems someone, and obviously not me, has changed the ip records as of
>Friday evening. I discovered this yesterday due to a customer complaint,
>not to mention complete lack of email, etc.
>
>Needless to say, I called Register.com and pointed out the situation and
>they "are working on it".
>
>As of today (Sunday) there is still no change at the top level, which
>means a minimum of another 24-48 hours of no connectivity.
>
>I thought that only I (and Register.com) had the ability to change these
>records, but apparently not.

It looks to me like the domain registration disappeared or expired, so the
delegation of your domain was removed from the ns*.dns.ws nameservers, and
the wildcard took over.  The WHOIS server now says that your domain was
created yesterday:

Welcome to the .WS Whois Server

Use of this service for any purpose other
than determining the availability of a domain
in the .WS TLD to be registered is strictly
prohibited.

  Domain Name: CUSICK.WS

  Registrant: John Cusick

  Domain created on 2003-11-17 12:16:37
  Domain last updated on 2003-11-17 12:16:37

  Name servers:

    dns26.register.com .... 216.21.226.83
    dns25.register.com .... 216.21.234.83

so it should get back into the delegation tonight.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA