Finding all CNAMEs associated with an A record

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Mon Nov 17 23:31:14 UTC 2003

In article <bpblh7$2s3o$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Anshuman Kanwar  <ansh at expertcity.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Given that I created a many to one relation between CNAMEs records and an A
>record, is there a way to get a list of all CNAMEs by querying the A name ?

No.  I could create a CNAME record on my server:

mycname.mydomain.com. IN CNAME bird.yourdomain.com.

and the server for yourdomain.com has no way of knowing about it.

If you're only interested in finding the CNAME records in your own domain,
you could do something like:

dig yourdomain.com axfr | grep 'CNAME<tab>bird$'

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA